Olives are an integral part of Mediterranean cuisine, which is one of the healthiest in the world. Many traditional Greek dishes cannot be served without the addition of olives or olive oil.
Also, true Italian pizza is not served with tomato sauce, but with oil. The secret of olives consists of up to 7 properties, which are very difficult to find in any other natural product.
Reasons why you should eat more olives
1. They contain large amounts of antioxidants, including oleic acid, which reduces the activity of the gene responsible for breast cancer. Antioxidants, in addition to preventing cancer, protect the heart and blood vessels, thus reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease.
2. Olives reduce the level of bad cholesterol, responsible, among other things, for atherosclerosis. The sterols contained in them inhibit the intestinal absorption of LDL cholesterol. Studies have shown that including olive oil in the diet instead of vegetable fats and oils can reduce the amount of bad cholesterol in the blood by up to 20%.
3. They support weight loss: they are low in calories (100 g of olives contain only 125 kcal), they are easily digestible and contain fiber, which has a positive effect on metabolism. Additionally, olives support metabolism by stimulating the liver to secrete bile acids, which is responsible for the triterpenic alcohols present in olives.
Thanks to this, the liver cleanses the body faster of harmful metabolic products. In addition, an important property of olives is their ability to cause satiety. Thus, they eliminate the cravings for sweets. The lack of appetite for sweets causes the level of sugar in the blood to drop, but this process is even stronger thanks to the presence of monounsaturated fatty acids in olives.
4. Contains provitamin A, a youthful vitamin, which is truly rejuvenating because it has a great effect on the condition of hair, skin, and nails, as well as visual ability. In addition, they contain vitamins B, C, E, which are necessary in the fight against free radicals. Apparently, eating 7 olives a day can guarantee longevity.
5. We eat them in pickled form: fresh olives, harvested directly from the tree, are not so suitable to eat due to their bitter taste. Therefore, the olives that we buy in the market have been processed in pickle.
Olives, first of all, are natural probiotics: as a source of lactic acid formed during fermentation, they cleanse the body and strengthen your immune system. In addition, thanks to the lactic acid content, they regulate the bacterial flora in the intestines and participate in the synthesis of vitamin K and some B vitamins.
6. They have a calming effect on the nervous system. They contain phospholipids, which are the building block of cell membranes, especially nerve cell membranes, and copper, which protects nerve fibers and has an analgesic effect. Rubbing the body with olive oil helps reduce stress, and eating olives regularly prevents migraines.
7. They are a natural aphrodisiac: they contain estrone or female sex hormones. Increasing the amount of estrone in a woman's body increases her sex drive. Olive trees have entered the mythology and art of the Mediterranean peoples as a symbol of youth and fertility.
Besides the fact that olives have a significant impact on the health and condition of the body, they are a versatile addition to dishes. Pizzas, pastas, sauces, salads and all meat dishes gain a lot of nutritional value after adding this Mediterranean delicacy, both in green and black.
A high blood sugar reading first thing in the morning can throw off your whole day — and signal a chronic problem. Despite their best efforts to control their blood sugar levels, some people simply wake up with elevated blood sugar. Starting your day this way isn't just alarming: If it becomes a pattern, high morning readings can make it difficult to achieve your long-term diabetes management goals.